Prolific author, historian and educator Dr. Carol Anderson joins us to discuss her book The Second: Race and Guns in a Fatally Unequal America. We talk about what sparked her interest in writing it, and dissect the role of anti-blackness in the formation and upholding of the second amendment. Carol reveals how she thinks of her writing in terms of persuasion versus education, and why this is the hardest book she has ever written.
The Stacks Book Club selection for March is Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay. We will discuss the book on March 29th with Shanita Hubbard.
Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Google Podcasts | Overcast | Stitcher | Transcript
Everything we talk about on today’s episode can be found below in the show notes and on Bookshop.org and Amazon.
- The Second by Carol Anderson
- White Rage by Carol Anderson
- One Person, No Vote by Carol Anderson
- Bourgeois Radicals by Carol Anderson
- Eyes Off the Prize by Carol Anderson
- The Killing of Philando Castile
- National Rifle Association
- “Ruby Ridge, 1992: the day the American militia movement was born” (Jason Wilson, The Guardian)
- “The Waco tragedy, explained” (Tara Isabella Burton, Vox)
- Waco by Jeff Guinn
- Waco Rising by Kevin Cook
- Koresh by Stephan Talty
- “US reels after massacre in fourth-grade classroom leaves 21 dead” (Ed Pilkington, The Guardian)
- “10 dead in Buffalo shooting, police commissioner says” (CNN)
- “Aurora, Colo theater shooting timeline, facts” (ABC7)
- “Church shooting suspect Dylann Roof captured amid hate crime investigation” (Robert Costa, Lindsey Bever, J. Freedom du Lac & Sari Horwitz, Washington Post)
- Dying of Whiteness by Jonathan M. Metzl
- “St. Louis couple who pointed guns at protesters to speak at Republican convention” (Kaitlan Collins, Caroline Kelly & Donald Judd, CNN)
- Igor Volsky
- Hamilton (Lin-Manuel Miranda, 2015)
- “What we know about Buffalo supermarket shooting suspect Payton Gendron” (Shimon Prokupecz, Christina Maxouris, Dakin Andone, Samantha Beech & Amir Vera, CNN)
- “Tamir Rice: video shows boy, 12, shot ‘seconds’ after police confronted child” (Tom McCarthy, The Guardian)
- Children Under Fire by John Woodrow Cox
- The OpEd Project
- “Rehab” (Amy Winehouse, 2006)
- “Ferguson isn’t about black rage against cops. It’s white rage against progress” (Carol Anderson, Washington Post)
- Mahalia Jackson
- Stono Rebellion
- David Koresh
- Lipton Cold Brew Iced Tea
- Guns Down by Igor Volsky
- The Second Amendment by Michael Waldman
- Loaded by Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz
- Medical Apartheid by Harriet Washington
To support The Stacks and find out more from this week’s sponsors, click here.
Connect with Carol: Website
Connect with The Stacks: Instagram | Twitter | Shop | Patreon | Goodreads | Subscribe
To contribute to The Stacks, join The Stacks Pack, and get exclusive perks, check out our Patreon page. If you prefer to support the show with a one time contribution go to paypal.me/thestackspod.
The Stacks participates in affiliate programs. We receive a small commission when products are purchased through links on this website, and this comes at no cost to you. This in no way effects opinions on books and products reviewed here. For more information click here.