It is time for our annual Toni Morrison episode of The Stacks as part of The Stacks Book Club. We are discussing Morrison’s third novel, Song of Solomon, and to help us dissect this sweeping story we’ve brought back author Dawnie Walton (The Final Revival of Opal and Nev). On the show we discuss this book as part of the conversation for “the great American novel”, gush over our favorite characters and scenes, and so much more.
There are spoilers on this episode.
Be sure to listen to the end of the episode to hear what our December book club pick will be.
Everything we talk about on today’s episode can be found below in the show notes. You can also find everything we talked about on Amazon.
- Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison
- The Final Revival of Opal and Nev by Dawnie Walton
- Sula by Toni Morrison
- Macbeth by William Shakespeare
- William Shakespeare
- Othello by William Shakespeare
- “Laila Lalami’s Great American Novel: ‘Song of Solomon’ by Toni Morrison” (Laila Lalami, The Los Angeles Times)
- “What is The Great American Novel?” (Carolyn Kellogg, The Los Angeles Times)
- Beloved by Toni Morrison
- Toni Morrison on Empathy and Storytelling (WTTW Chicago, 1997)
- Toni Morrison Interview byJana Wednt (Toni Morrison: Uncensored, 1998)
- The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
- “Review: ‘Song of Solomon,’ by Toni Morrison” (Reynolds Price, The New York Times)
- Scarlett by Alexandra Ripley
- Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
- Reggie Reads
- Breaking Bad (AMC)
- Emmett Till
- “Revisiting the Legend of Flying Africans” (Sophia Nahli Allison, The New Yorker)
- “Toni Morrison the Writer in America Interview” (1978)
- Danté Stewart
- A Little Devil in America by Hanif Abdurraqib
The Stacks participates in affiliate programs. We receive a small commission when products are purchased through links on this website, and this comes at no cost to you. This in no way effects opinions on books and products reviewed here. For more information click here.