Today we’re joined by Kendra James; writer, podcast producer, editor, to discuss her debut book, Admissions: A Memoir of Surviving Boarding School. We talk about Kendra’s experiences as the first African American legacy student at the Taft School in Connecticut, the ways she came to terms with the racism she experienced, and who she is writing for. We also talk pettiness, writing in the bathroom, and figure skating.
The Stacks Book Club selection for December is Passing by Nella Larsen, we will discuss the book on January 26th with Cree Myles.
Everything we talk about on today’s episode can be found below in the show notes. You can also find everything we talked about on Amazon.
- Admissions by Kendra James
- Taft School (Watertown, CT)
- Roger Ailes
- Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- Oberlin (Oberlin, OH)
- Brown University (Providence, RI)
- Bridesmaids (Paul Feig, 2011)
- @BlackAtTaft Instagram Account
- Orlando Bloom
- Amadou Diallo
- Trayvon Martin
- “Where Kendra James Writes” (Kendra James, Catapult)
- Hans Zimmer
- The College Dropout (Kanye West, 2004)
- Jelly Belly
- Nerd Rope
- Diet Coke
- Sarah Hughes
- Sasha Cohen
- Love Theme from “Romeo and Juliet” (Henry Mancini & Nino Rota)
- “The South Korean Women’s Curling Team Is Nicknamed After Breakfast Foods” (Elisabeth Sherman, Food and Wine)
- Surya Bonaly
- Vanessa James
- Starr Andrews
- Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling
- Black Ice by Lorene Cary
- St. Paul’s School (Concord, NH)
- Spying on Miss Müller by Eve Bunting
- Little Men by Louisa May Alcott
- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
To support The Stacks and find out more from this week’s sponsors, click here.
The Stacks participates in affiliate programs. We receive a small commission when products are purchased through links on this website, and this comes at no cost to you. This in no way effects opinions on books and products reviewed here. For more information click here.