Children’s book author and artist Oliver Jeffers joins to discuss his first all-ages illustrated book Begin Again: How We Got Here and Where We Might Go – Our Human Story. So Far. We talk about cultivating a sense of optimism, the relationship between distance and perspective and the importance of the stories we tell ourselves. We also ask what reconciliation and justice look like if we want to move forward together, and what kind of world Oliver hopes for.
The Stacks Book Club selection for October is Tar Baby by Toni Morrison. We will discuss the book on October 25th with Minda Honey.
- Begin Again by Oliver Jeffers
- Here We Are by Oliver Jeffers
- The Day the Crayons Quit by Oliver Jeffers
- What We’ll Build by Oliver Jeffers
- “Statue of anti-slavery campaigner Frederick Douglass unveiled in Belfast” (Belfast City Gov)
- Van Morrison
- Astral Weeks by Van Morrison
- “Into the Mystic” (Van Morrison, 1970)
- “Sweet Thing” (Van Morrison, 1968)
- Operating Manual for Spaceship Earth by R. Buckminster Fuller
- Maya Angelou
- Praise Shadows Art Gallery
- Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond
- A People’s History of the United States by Howard Zinn
- Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari
- The Big I Am by Ralph Steadman
- Carl Sagan
To support The Stacks and find out more from this week’s sponsors, click here.
The Stacks participates in affiliate programs. We receive a small commission when products are purchased through links on this website, and this comes at no cost to you. This in no way effects opinions on books and products reviewed here. For more information click here.