Renowned sports journalist Jemele Hill joins the show to discuss her powerful new book Uphill: A Memoir. We talk about how she organized and thought about telling her story, how she cultivated he sources as a journalist. Jemele also reveals how she navigates the challenging relationship between her own identity as a Black woman and the world of sports.
The Stacks Book Club selection for November is Prison by Any Other Name: The Harmful Consequences of Popular Reforms by Maya Schenwar and Victoria Law. We will discuss the book on November 30th with Mariame Kaba.
Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Google Podcasts | Overcast | Stitcher | Transcript
Everything we talk about on today’s episode can be found below in the show notes and on Bookshop.org and Amazon.
- Uphill by Jemele Hill
- Jemele Hill is Unbothered (Spotify)
- Michael Smith
- The Perfect Day to Boss Up by Rick Ross
- Golden State Warriors
- Boston Celtics
- “I Saw My Mother Falling Apart” – Journalist Jemele Hill + Her Mom” (Red Table Talk)
- OJ Simpson murder trial
- Colin Kaepernick
- Sally Jenkins
- Michael Wilbon
- Tony Kornheiser
- Los Angeles Lakers
- Los Angeles Times
- Michigan State University (East Lansing, MI)
- Keyon Dooling
- The Young and the Restless (CBS)
- Tom Izzo
- Sage Steele
- Grey’s Anatomy (ABC)
- The Bachelor (ABC)
- This is Us (NBC)
- His & Hers podcast (ESPN Radio)
- “LeBron: I’m going back to the Cavs” (ESPN.com)
- “James picks Heat; Cavs owner erupts” (ESPN.com)
- “We Got Next! The History of the WNBA” (Womenshistory.org)
- “Michael Jordan’s Return to the NBA Was Greeted Like the Second Coming” (Phil Taylor, Sports Illustrated)
- “The Fall of Aaron Hernandez” (Bill Pennington, New York Times)
- “The day Muhammad Ali got knocked out by the draft board” (Rhiannon Walker, Andscape)
- Finding Me by Viola Davis
- Finding Me by Viola Davis (audiobook)
- Uphill by Jemele Hill (audiobook)
- Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
- Nightcrawling by Leila Mottley
- “Ep. 219 Genre Redlining with Leila Mottley” (The Stacks)
- “Ep. 137 Specificity in Storytelling with Yaa Gyasi” (The Stacks)
- Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
- Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston (audiobook)
- Ruby Dee
- Jemele Hill at The Atlantic
Connect with Jemele: Instagram | Twitter
Connect with The Stacks: Instagram | Twitter | Shop | Patreon | Goodreads | Subscribe
To support The Stacks and find out more from this week’s sponsors, click here.
To contribute to The Stacks, join The Stacks Pack, and get exclusive perks, check out our Patreon page. If you prefer to support the show with a one time contribution go to paypal.me/thestackspod.
The Stacks participates in affiliate programs. We receive a small commission when products are purchased through links on this website, and this comes at no cost to you. This in no way effects opinions on books and products reviewed here. For more information click here.