Aminatou Sow and Ann Friedman are the friends behind the podcast Call Your Girlfriend, and now the authors of the New York Times Best Selling book Big Friendship: How We Keep Each Other Close. Today we talk about the obstacles they found in researching their book on friendship, finding their voice, the questions that come up in interracial friendships, and about their idea of “shine theory”.
The Stacks Book Club selection for September is The Undocumented Americans by Karla Cornejo Villavicencio, we will discuss the book with Lupita Aquino on September 30.
Apple Podcasts | Spotify | PodcastOne | Google | Android
Everything we talk about on today’s episode can be found below in the show notes. You can also find everything we talked about on Amazon.
- Big Friendship by Aminatou Sow and Ann Friedman
- Call Your Girlfriend (Ann Friedman & Aminatou Sow)
- Sam Sanders
- “Aminatou Sow, Ann Friedman And Their ‘Big Friendship'” (Its Been A Minute, NPR)
- “”Podcast Friends Network” (with Aminatou Sow and Ann Friedman)” (Keep It, Crooked Media)
- “Aminatou Sow + Ann Friedman on their book Big Friendship” (Bad on Paper, Grace Atwood & Becca Freeman)
- Stephanie Coontz
- Shalane Flanagan
- Gossip Girl (CW)
- Hollywood Husbands by Jackie Collins
- Hollywood Wives by Jackie Collins
- John Wick 3 (Chad Stahelski, 2019)
- How We Show Up by Mia Birdsong
- “Power of Community: Summer of Friendship #8” (Call Your Girlfriend)
- Sula by Toni Morrison
- “Ep. 126 Sula by Toni Morrison — The Stacks Book Club (Brit Bennett)” (The Stacks)
- Mama Day by Gloria Naylormi
Get your copy of Saving Ruby King by Catherine Adel West wherever books are sold.
To contribute to The Stacks, join The Stacks Pack, and get exclusive perks, check out our Patreon page. We are beyond grateful for anything you’re able to give to support the production of this show. If you prefer to do a one time contribution go to paypal.me/thestackspod.
The Stacks participates in affiliate programs. We receive a small commission when products are purchased through links on this website, and this comes at no cost to you. This in no way effects opinions on books and products reviewed here. For more information click here.