In 2006, at the age of 22, Bakari Sellers made history as the youngest person ever elected to the South Carolina state legislature, and the youngest African American elected official in the country. He is now a CNN analyst and the author of a brand new memoir, My Vanishing Country. We talk today with Bakari about the civil rights movements of the past and present, how he hopes we move forward as a nation, and the perseverance it took to get his book published.
The Stacks Book Club selection for June is Savage Appetites by Rachel Monroe, we will discuss the book with Emma Copley Eisenberg on June 24th.
Apple Podcasts | Spotify | PodcastOne | Google | Android
Everything we talk about on today’s episode can be found below in the show notes. You can also find everything we talked about on Amazon.
- My Vanishing Country by Bakari Sellers
- Orangeburg Massacre
- The Charleston Massacre
- Biliary Atresia
- Emmett Till
- Trayvon Martin
- “What We Know About the Alton Sterling Shooting” (Rhiannon Walker, The Undefeated)
- Eric Garner
- Clementa Pickney
- Mother Emanuel AME Church
- Martin Luther King Jr.
- Malcom X
- Cleveland Sellers
- Stokley Carmichael
- Rosa Parks
- Sarah Mae Flemming
- Ella Baker
- Julian Bond
- Barack Obama
- Michelle Obama
- Andrew Gillum
- Stacey Abrams
- Mandela Barnes
- Steve Benjamin
- Frank Scott Jr.
- Randall Woodfin
- Mark Sanford
- The World is Flat by Thomas L. Friedman
- “Kyrie Irving apologizes for saying Earth is flat: ‘Didn’t realize the effect'” (ESPN)
- Cornel West
- Bernice King
- Michael Julian Bond
- James Foreman Jr.
- Trumpocracy by David Frum
- Trumpocalypse by David Frum
- Amistad Books
- The Smith
- Harper One
- Harper Collins
- Barracoon by Zora Neale Hurston
- Kayleigh McEnany
- New York Times Best Seller List
- Nobody by Marc Lamont Hill
- The Other Wes Moore by Wes Moore
- “Barack Obama’s Memoir Could Arrive Just in Time to Disrupt Trump’s Reelection Campaign” (Jay Connor, The Root)
- “Bakari Sellers cries over George Floyd murder: ‘It’s hard being Black in this country’” (Stephanie Guerilus, The Grio)
- “George Floyd, From ‘I Want to Touch the World’ to ‘I Can’t Breathe’” (Manny Fernandez and Audra D. S. Burch, The New York Times)
- Healing Politics by Adul El-Sayed
- How to Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi
- The Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm X as told to Alex Haley
To contribute to The Stacks, join The Stacks Pack, and get exclusive perks, check out our Patreon page. We are beyond grateful for anything you’re able to give to support the production of this show. If you prefer to do a one time contribution go to paypal.me/thestackspod.
The Stacks participates in affiliate programs. We receive a small commission when products are purchased through links on this website, and this comes at no cost to you. This in no way effects opinions on books and products reviewed here. For more information click here.