We’re discussing The Giver by Lois Lowry today as part of The Stacks Book Club with guest, Sue Thomas aka Traci’s mom. The Giver is an award winning classic children’s book about a utopia and what we sacrifice for peace and stability. Today we focus in on communal memory, how children learn about atrocities, and the ways in which we read novels differently.
There are spoilers in this episode.
Apple Podcasts | Spotify | PodcastOne | Google | Android
Everything we talk about on today’s episode can be found below in the show notes. You can also find everything we talked about on Amazon.
- The Giver by Lois Lowry
- Newbery Medal
- The Little Mermaid (John Musker and Ron Clements, 1989)
- Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
- Newbery Award Acceptance Speech – Lois Lowry (June 1994)
- Carl Gustaf Nelson
- The Giver Movie (Phillip Noyce, 2014)
- Meryl Streep
- Taylor Swift
- Jeff Bridges
- Schindler’s List (Steven Spielberg, 1993)
- Black Lives Matter
- United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
- Educated by Tara Westover
- The Sound of Music (Robert Wise, 1965)
- Email Traci at The Stacks
- Savage Appetites by Rachel Monroe
Connect with Sue: Instagram
To contribute to The Stacks, join The Stacks Pack, and get exclusive perks, check out our Patreon page. We are beyond grateful for anything you’re able to give to support the production of this show. If you prefer to do a one time contribution go to paypal.me/thestackspod.
The Stacks participates in affiliate programs. We receive a small commission when products are purchased through links on this website, and this comes at no cost to you. This in no way effects opinions on books and products reviewed here. For more information click here.