Chase Darkness with Me is Billy Jensen’s true crime book about his journey into solving murder cases. We get to talk about this book, and all the complicated issues it brings up with Jac Vanek (LadyGang, The First Degree). We look at the merits of crowd sourced crime investigation, how we treat victims who aren’t pretty white women, and how the current obsession with true crime is a little problematic.
There are minor spoilers on this episode.
Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Google Podcasts | Overcast | Stitcher
Everything we talk about on today’s episode can be found below in the show notes and on Bookshop.org and Amazon.
- LadyGang (PodcastOne)
- The First Degree (PodcastOne)
- Jac Vanek
- Chase Darkness with Me by Billy Jensen
- Billy Jensen
- I’ll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara
- “Discovering Death: The Murder of Kenny Thomas Jr.” (The First Degree, PodcastOne)
- “Authorities Identify Three Victims in Decades-Old ‘Bear Brook Murders’” (Pilar Melendez, The Daily Beast)
- “Jac’s Story: The Real Homicide Of Orange County” (The First Degree, PodcastOne)
- Alexis Linkletter
- Snapped (Oxygen)
- “A real O.C. housewife convicted of murder” (CBSNews.com)
- Serial (This American Life)
- Popular Crime by Bill James
- JonBenét Ramsey
- Polly Klass
- “O.J. Simpson Murder Case: A Timeline of the ‘Trial of the Century'” (Biography)
- “Kim Goldman on Confronting OJ & The Aftermath” (The First Degree, PodcastOne)
- “The Hero Of The Gabrielle Giffords Mass Shooting” (The First Degree, PodcastOne)
- Scott Peterson (CNN)
- O. J.: Made in America (ESPN)
- Ezra Edelman
- “3 Years After Boston Marathon Bombing, The Story Of A Wrongly Accused Student” (NPR)
- Ghettoside by Jill Leovy
- The Murder of Laci Peterson (A&E)
- 23 and Me
- “The Hunt for the Golden State Killer” (The Daily, The New York Times)
- “The Hawes Family” (The First Degree, PodcastOne)
- “Maggie Guardado” (The First Degree, PodcastOne)
- “LGBTQ ‘Black Lives Matter’ activists were watching Democratic donor Ed Buck, demanding justice” (Alene Tchekmedyian, Piper McDaniel, Matt Hamilton, Richard Winton, The Los Angeles Times)
- “The Case Against Adnan Syed Gives Hae Min Lee More Of Voice. Here’s Who She Was.” (Martha Sorren, Refinery 29)
- “The Menendez Murders” (Kaitlin Menza, Town and Country)
Connect with Jac: Instagram | LadyGang | The First Degree | Jac Vanek
Connect with The Stacks: Instagram | Twitter | Shop | Patreon | Goodreads | Subscribe
To support The Stacks and find out more from this week’s sponsors, click here.
To contribute to The Stacks, join The Stacks Pack, and get exclusive perks, check out our Patreon page. We are beyond grateful for anything you’re able to give to support the production of this show. If you prefer to do a one time contribution go to paypal.me/thestackspod.
The Stacks participates in affiliate programs. We receive a small commission when products are purchased through links on this website, and this comes at no cost to you. This in no way effects opinions on books and products reviewed here. For more information click here.