Today on The Short Stacks we’re joined by author, academic, and podcast host (Hear to Slay) Tressie McMillan Cottom. Her latest book Thick: And Other Essays is on The National Book Award Longlist for nonfiction, and is the center of our conversation. Cottom explains the power in centering the experiences of Black women, and we get into the nitty gritty of writing snacks and beverages.
There are no spoilers on this episode.
- Thick by Tressie McMillan Cottom
- National Book Award 2019 Nonfiction Longlist
- The New York Times
- Lower Ed by Tressie McMillan Cottom
- Kiese Laymon
- The Testaments by Margaret Atwood
- The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
- The New Press
- Erma Bombeck
- Dave Zirin
- Welcome to the Terrordome by Dave Zirin
- Dave Zirin on Twitter
- Rebecca Traister
- Rebecca Solnit
- Long Division by Kiese Laymon
- Heavy by Kiese Laymon
- How We Fight for Our Lives by Saeed Jones
- Hear to Slay (Luminary)
- Roxane Gay
- Gabrielle Union
- “03: The Hustle” (Hear to Slay)
- Toni Morrison
- The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
To support The Stacks and find out more from this week’s sponsors, click here.
To contribute to The Stacks, join The Stacks Pack, and get exclusive perks, check out our Patreon page. We are beyond grateful for anything you’re able to give to support the production of this show. If you prefer to do a one time contribution go to paypal.me/thestackspod.
The Stacks participates in affiliate programs. We receive a small commission when products are purchased through links on this website, and this comes at no cost to you. This in no way effects opinions on books and products reviewed here. For more information click here.