Today on The Short Stacks we have author and journalist, Garrett M. Graff, whose newest book is The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of 9/11 is a detailed look at the events of September 11, 2001 as told by the people who lived it. Garrett tells us about the process of creating a cohesive narrative from hundreds of interviews, and what he learned about a day that has been etched in the collective American memory.
There are no spoilers in this episode.
- The Only Plane in the Sky by Garrett M. Graff
- “We’re the Only Plane in the Sky” (Garrett M. Graff, Politico Magazine)
- 102 Minutes by Jim Dwyer and Kevin Flynn
- The 9/11 Commission Report by National Commission on Terrorist Attacks
- 9/11 Memorial & Museum
- 9/11 Tribute Museum
- Flight 93 National Memorial
- Dick Cheney
- Porter Goss
- Rob O’Neil
- Osama Bin Laden
- “Motorcycle backfiring sparks “shooter” panic in New York’s Times Square” (CBS News, Youtube.com)
- Garret M. Graff at Wired
- The Aspen Institute — Cybersecurity & Technology Program
- Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer
- Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
- Robert Mueller
- The Threat Matrix by Garrett M. Graff
- Touching History by Lynn Spencer
- Midnight in Chernobyl by Adam Higginbotham
- Say Nothing by Patrick Radden Keefe
- Furious Hours by Casey Cep
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
To support The Stacks and find out more from this week’s sponsors, click here.
To contribute to The Stacks, join The Stacks Pack, and get exclusive perks, check out our Patreon page. We are beyond grateful for anything you’re able to give to support the production of this show. If you prefer to do a one time contribution go to paypal.me/thestackspod.
The Stacks participates in affiliate programs. We receive a small commission when products are purchased through links on this website, and this comes at no cost to you. This in no way effects opinions on books and products reviewed here. For more information click here.