Today on The Stacks Book Club, we’re taking it to the backlist of American Fiction with Jesus’ Son by Denis Johnson. Our guest is New York Times Best Selling author Dave Cullen (Columbine, Parkland). On this episode we discuss chasing highs, what makes a good cover, and who gets to tell what stories.
There are spoilers on this episode.
- The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe
- What it Takes by Richard Ben Cramer
- George Bush Sr.
- Bob Dole
- Yanomamo, the Fierce People by Napoleon A. Chagnon
- Laurie Anderson
- Lou Reed
- Jane Goodall
- David Hogg
- Emma González
- Jackie Corin
- Soldiers First by Dave Cullen
- “Don’t ask, don’t tell, don’t fall in love” (Dave Cullen, Salon)
- Lucia Berlin
- Sherman Alexie
- The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven by Sherman Alexie
- Woody Allen
- Reefer Madness (Louis J. Gasnier, 1936)
- Half Nelson (Ryan Fleck, 2006)
- Ryan Gosling
- The Notebook (Nick Cassavetes, 2004)
- To Sir with Love (James Clavell, 1967)
- “Heroin” (The Velvet Underground, 1967)
- Jesus Christ Superstar (Andrew Lloyd Webber, 1971)
- The Help by Kathryn Stockett
- Henry Sene Yee
- “Columbine” Henry Sene Yee
- Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
- War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
- All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque
- The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane
- Citizen Kane (Orson Welles, 1941)
To support The Stacks and find out more from this week’s sponsors, click here.
To contribute to The Stacks, join The Stacks Pack, and get exclusive perks, check out our Patreon page. We are beyond grateful for anything you’re able to give to support the production of this show. If you prefer to do a one time contribution go to paypal.me/thestackspod.
The Stacks participates in affiliate programs. We receive a small commission when products are purchased through links on this website, and this comes at no cost to you. This in no way effects opinions on books and products reviewed here. For more information click here.