For the first time ever we have two authors on The Stacks at once, and we are thrilled about it. Today we talk to Akiba Solomon and Kenrya Rankin the co-authors of How We Fight White Supremacy: A Field Guide to Black Resistance. We discuss the importance of diverse Black voices being represented in the book, how Solomon and Rankin worked together to create it, and the importance of a book proposal. Plus we talk about how small acts of resistance have a big place in the fight against white supremacy.
There are no spoilers on this episode.
Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Google Podcasts | Overcast | Stitcher
Everything we talk about on today’s episode can be found below in the show notes and on Bookshop.org and Amazon.
- How We Fight White Supremacy by Akiba Solomon and Kenrya Rankin
- “The Short Stacks 12: Damon Young//What Doesn’t Kill You Makes You Blacker” (The Stacks)
- Damon Young
- Harry Belafonte
- Mia Birdsong
- Ayana Byrd
- “The F.B.I.’s Dangerous Crackdown on ‘Black Identity Extremists’” ( Khaled A. Beydoun and Justin Hansford, The New York Times)
- Assata by Assata Shakur
- Heavy by Kiese Laymon
- Get Down by Asali Solomon
- But Some of Us Are Brave edited by Akasha (Gloria T.) Hull, Patricia Bell-Scott, and Barbara Smith
- Sister Outsider by Audre Lorde
- “Song of Myself” Walt Whitman
Connect with Akiba: Twitter | Instagram | Website
Connect with Kenrya: Twitter | Instagram | Website
Connect with The Stacks: Instagram | Twitter | Shop | Patreon | Goodreads | Subscribe
To support The Stacks and find out more from this week’s sponsors, click here.
To contribute to The Stacks, join The Stacks Pack, and get exclusive perks, check out our Patreon page. We are beyond grateful for anything you’re able to give to support the production of this show. If you prefer to do a one time contribution go to paypal.me/thestackspod.
The Stacks received How We Fight White Supremacy: A Field Guide to Black Resistance from the publisher. For more information click here.
The Stacks participates in affiliate programs. We receive a small commission when products are purchased through links on this website, and this comes at no cost to you. This in no way effects opinions on books and products reviewed here. For more information click here.