Beloved is a classic American novel by one of the greatest novelists of our time, Toni Morrison. It is also The Stacks Book Club pick this week, and we are lucky to have author and scholar DaMaris B. Hill (A Bound Woman is a Dangerous Thing) to help us break it down. We talk about the legacy of slavery on Black Americans, how to discuss great works that we don’t personally enjoy, intimacy as it relates to insanity, and Pulitzer Prize controversy.
There are spoilers on this week’s episode.
Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Google Podcasts | Overcast | Stitcher
Everything we talk about on today’s episode can be found below in the show notes and on Bookshop.org and Amazon.
- Beloved by Toni Morrison
- A Bound Woman is a Dangerous Thing by DaMaris B. Hill
- The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
- Paradise Lost by John Milton
- The Bible
- John Donne (writer)
- Somerset Place Plantation (North Carolina)
- Whitney Plantation (Louisiana)
- Still Processing (The New York Times)
- The New York Times
- Wesley Morris
- Jenna Wortham
- Us (Jordan Peele, 2019)
- “Us” (Still Processing, The New York Times)
- Get Out (Jordan Peele, 2017)
- Audre Lorde
- Lemony Snicket
- “The Most Likely Person to Read a Book? A College-Educated Black Woman” (Philip Bump, The Atlantic)
- Maya Angelou
- “Black Writers in Praise of Toni Morrison” (The New York Times, 1988)
- Zora Neale Hurtson
- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
- Beloved (Jonathan Demme, 1998)
- Oprah Winfrey
- Thandie Newton
- Margaret Garner (the inspiration behind Beloved)
Connect with DaMaris: Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Website
Connect with The Stacks: Instagram | Twitter | Shop | Patreon | Goodreads | Subscribe
To support The Stacks and find out more from this week’s sponsors, click here.
To contribute to The Stacks, join The Stacks Pack, and get exclusive perks, check out our Patreon page. We are beyond grateful for anything you’re able to give to support the production of this show. If you prefer to do a one time contribution go to paypal.me/thestackspod.
The Stacks participates in affiliate programs. We receive a small commission when products are purchased through links on this website, and this comes at no cost to you. This in no way effects opinions on books and products reviewed here. For more information click here.
4 thoughts on “Ep. 60 Beloved by Toni Morrison — The Stacks Book Club (DaMaris B. Hill)”