Today on The Short Stacks we’re joined by debut author, Bryan Washington, whose debut book Lot is a short story collection set in Houston. Bryan talks street names as titles, his “day job”, and what is next for him (trust me its exciting).
Everything we talk about on today’s episode can be found below in the show notes. The Stacks participates in affiliate programs, and shopping through the links below (mostly Amazon) helps support the show, at no cost to you.
- Lot by Bryan Washington
- Becoming by Michelle Obama
- Milk Tea
- Mat Johnson
- The Awl
- Nicole Chung
- The Short Stacks 6: Nicole Chung//All You Can Ever Know (The Stacks)
- Aja Gabel
- “Waugh” (Bryan Washington, The New Yorker)
- Ep. 35 Prodigies, Time Machines, and Beautiful Writing with Aja Gabel (The Stacks)
- Brazos Bookstore
- “Bryan Washington’s Playlist for His Story Collection ‘Lot'” (Largehearted Boy)
- Moonlight (Barry Jenkins, 2016)
- Spa Night (Andrew Ahn, 2016)
- Yi Yi (Edward Yang, 2000)
- The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
- Women Hollering Creek by Sandra Cisneros
- Vida by Patricia Engle
- A Good Fall by Ha Jin
- American Son by Brian Ascalon Roley
- The Leavers by Lisa Ko
- A Lucky Man by Jamel Brinkley
- Alexander Chee
- Lacy M. Johnson
- Michael Arceneaux
- Cali Sandwich (Houston)
To contribute to The Stacks, join The Stacks Pack, and get exclusive perks, check out our Patreon page. We are beyond grateful for anything you’re able to give to support the production of this show. If you prefer to do a one time contribution go to paypal.me/thestackspod.
The Stacks participates in affiliate programs. We receive a small commission when products are purchased through links on this website, and this comes at no cost to you. This in no way effects opinions on books and products reviewed here. For more information click here.