The Bluest Eye is the first novel of Nobel Laureate, Toni Morrison, it is also The Stacks Book Club pick this week. We dissect this American classic and discuss its many themes including race, beauty, love and abuse with Renée Hicks, founder of Book Girl Magic. Our conversation covers the entire book, which means there are a lot of spoilers. Go read the book and then come back and listen.
Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Google Podcasts | Overcast | Stitcher
Everything we talk about on today’s episode can be found below in the show notes and on Bookshop.org and Amazon.
- The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
- Book Girl Magic
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
- Pride by Ibi Zoboi
- Beloved by Toni Morrison
- “Why America’s Black Mothers and Babies Are in a Life-or-Death Crisis” (Linda Villarosa, New York Times)
- “Black Women Face More Trauma During Childbirth” (Catherine Pearson, The Huffington Post)
- Medical Apartheid by Harriet A. Washington
- “Serena Williams: What my life-threatening experience taught me about giving birth” (Serena Williams, CNN.com)
- Top Ten Most Challenged Books List (American Library Association)
- Native Son by Richard Wright
- Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
- Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
- The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander
- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
- Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- “Ep. 20 The Stacks Book Club – Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates” (The Stacks)
- “Lana Del Rey Stepped into Kanye West’s Instagram Comments to Call Him a Narcissist” (Mehera Bonner, Cosmopolitan)
- Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
- Marsai Martin
- Regina King
- Octavia Spencer
- Terrence Howard
- Brian Tyree Henry
- Danny Glover
- The Color Purple (Film)
Connect with Renee and Book Girl Magic: Book Girl Magic Website | Book Girl Magic Instagram | Book Girl Magic Facebook | Book Girl Magic Twitter
Connect with The Stacks: Instagram | Twitter | Shop | Patreon | Goodreads | Subscribe
To support The Stacks and find out more from this week’s sponsors, click here.
To contribute to The Stacks, join The Stacks Pack, and get exclusive perks, check out our Patreon page. We are beyond grateful for anything you’re able to give to support the production of this show. If you prefer to do a one time contribution go to paypal.me/thestackspod.
The Stacks participates in affiliate programs. We receive a small commission when products are purchased through links on this website. Shopping through these links helps support the show, but does not effect my opinions on books and products. For more information click here.
4 thoughts on “Ep. 34 The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison — The Stacks Book Club (Renée Hicks)”