This week on The Stacks Book Club, journalist and author Nancy Rommelmann is back to discuss Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup by John Carreyrou. We talk about the mind blowing story of biotech startup Theranos, and its founder Elizabeth Holmes. We talk about psychopaths, whistle blowers, and of course, this unbelievable story of abuse and fraud.
There are spoilers this week, however the book is based on current events and we do not discuss anything that isn’t out in the news.
- To The Bridge by Nancy Rommelmann
- Bad Blood by John Carreyrou
- Elizabeth Holmes’ TedMed 2014
- Powell’s Books (Portland, OR)
- “How One Company Scammed Silicon Valley. And How It Got Caught.” (Roger Lowenstein, New York Times)
- Book Soup (Los Angeles, CA)
- Henry Kissinger
- David Boies
- Larry Ellison
- Rupert Murdoch
- George Shultz
- Ponzi Supernova (Radio Lab, Audible)
- “The Lies and Follies of Laura Albert, a.k.a. JT LeRoy” (Nancy Rommelmann, LA Weekly)
- The Tender Bar by J.R. Moehringer
- Wild Wild Country (Netflix)
- Bad Blood (Film)
- Jennifer Lawrence
- Joy (20th Century Fox)
- The Hunger Games (Lionsgate)
- Game of Thrones (HBO)
My Mentor Book Club – for 50% off your first month of new nonfiction from My Mentor Book Club go to mymentorbookclub.com/thestacks
The Stacks participates in affiliate programs. We receive a small commission when products are purchased through links on this website. Shopping through these links helps support the show, but does not effect my opinions on books and products. For more information click here.