Choreographer Sam Pinkleton is back in time for The Stacks Book Club to take on true crime, with Vulgar Favors: The Assassination of Gianni Versace by Maureen Orth.
Vulgar Favors examines the serial killer Andrew Cunanan, who murdered 5 men in 1997 culminating in the murder of fashion designer Gianni Versace. We discuss Cunanan and his victims, but mostly we focus on the tone of the book. We examine the term “gay crime” and why we find this and so much of the book to be problematic.
While there are spoilers in this episode, this book covers a real life event, which means all of the information is out in the public. You can listen without ruining the book.
- “The Killers Train” (Maureen Orth, Vanity Fair)
- Outrage: The Five Reasons Why O. J. Simpson Got Away with Murder by Vincent Bugliosi
- The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story, Season 2 (FX)
- American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
- House of Versace: The Untold Story of Genius, Murder, and Survival by Deborah Hall
- New Boy by Tracy Chevalier
To support The Stacks and find out more from this week’s sponsors, click here.
To contribute to The Stacks, join The Stacks Pack, and get exclusive perks, check out our Patreon page. We are beyond grateful for anything you’re able to give to support the production of this show. If you prefer to do a one time contribution go to paypal.me/thestackspod.
The Stacks participates in affiliate programs in which we receive a small commission when products are purchased through some links on this website. This does not effect my opinions on books and products. For more information click here.