Today for The Stacks Book Club, we are talking cancel culture and social media as we examine Jon Ronson’s book, So You’ve Been Publicly Shamed. Back to discuss this book with us is author (Been There, Married That) and screenwriter, Gigi Levangie. We ask questions about consent, power dynamics, and fame and how these elements play into public shamings.
There are no spoilers in this episode.
Apple Podcasts | Spotify | PodcastOne | Google | Android
Everything we talk about on today’s episode can be found below in the show notes. If you’d like to support your local indie, you can shop through IndieBound.
- So You’ve Been Publicly Shamed by Jon Ronson
- Been There, Married That by Gigi Levangie
- Trust Exercise by Susan Choi
- Anna K by Jenny Lee
- The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson
- Jonah Lehrer
- Malcom Gladwell
- Jon Ronson’s TED Talk
- Michael Moynihan
- “Jonah Lehrer’s Deceptions” (Michael Moynihan, Tablet Magazine)
- Bob Dylan
- The Cadaver King and the Country Dentist by Radley Balko and Tucker Carrington
- “The Short Stacks 17: Radley Balko//The Cadaver King and the Country Dentist” (The Stacks)
- Maneater by Gigi Levangie Grazer
- “A Complete Timeline of Kevin Hart’s Oscar-Hosting Controversy, From Tweets to Apologies” (Stephen Daw, Billboard)
- Yashar Ali on Twitter
- “Harvey Weinstein scandal: Who has accused him of what?” (BBC)
- “Louis C.K. Is Accused by 5 Women of Sexual Misconduct” (Melena Ryzik, Cara Buckley & Jodi Kantor, The New York Times)
- “Louis C.K. Performs First Stand-Up Set at Club Since Admitting to #MeToo Cases” (Melena Ryzik, The New York Times)
- “I went on a date with Aziz Ansari. It turned into the worst night of my life” (Katie Way, Babe.net)
- “The poorly reported Aziz Ansari exposé was a missed opportunity” (Jill Filipovic, The Gaurdian)
- “Ashley Madison: ‘Suicides’ over website hack” (Chris Baraniuk, BBC)
- “Bill Cosby: A timeline of his fall from ‘America’s Dad’ to a ‘sexually violent predator'” (Chris Francescani & Luchina Fisher, ABC News)
- “What did Joe Paterno really know about the Sandusky scandal at Penn State?” (Will Hobson, The Washington Post)
- “Antonio Brown’s rise and fall from promising rookie to endless headache for the NFL” (Marc Nathanson, ABC News)
- “Riley Cooper Caught on Tape Saying Racial Slur at Kenny Chesney Concert” (Tim Keeney, Bleacher Report)
- “Michael Vick: Eagles have forgiven Riley Cooper” (Scooby Axson, Sports Illustrated)
- Dear Abby
- Ann Landers
- Riverhead Books
To contribute to The Stacks, join The Stacks Pack, and get exclusive perks, check out our Patreon page. We are beyond grateful for anything you’re able to give to support the production of this show. If you prefer to do a one time contribution go to paypal.me/thestackspod.
The Stacks participates in affiliate programs. We receive a small commission when products are purchased through links on this website, and this comes at no cost to you. This in no way effects opinions on books and products reviewed here. For more information click here.