This week on The Stacks Book Club, journalist and author Nancy Rommelmann is back to discuss Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup by John Carreyrou. We talk about the mind blowing story of biotech startup Theranos, and its founder Elizabeth Holmes. We talk about psychopaths, whistle blowers, and of course, this unbelievable story of abuse and fraud.
There are spoilers this week, however the book is based on current events and we do not discuss anything that isn’t out in the news.
Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Google Podcasts | Overcast | Stitcher
Everything we talk about on today’s episode can be found below in the show notes and on Bookshop.org and Amazon.
- To The Bridge by Nancy Rommelmann
- Bad Blood by John Carreyrou
- Elizabeth Holmes’ TedMed 2014
- Powell’s Books (Portland, OR)
- “How One Company Scammed Silicon Valley. And How It Got Caught.” (Roger Lowenstein, New York Times)
- Book Soup (Los Angeles, CA)
- Henry Kissinger
- David Boies
- Larry Ellison
- Rupert Murdoch
- George Shultz
- Ponzi Supernova (Radio Lab, Audible)
- “The Lies and Follies of Laura Albert, a.k.a. JT LeRoy” (Nancy Rommelmann, LA Weekly)
- The Tender Bar by J.R. Moehringer
- Wild Wild Country (Netflix)
- Bad Blood (Film)
- Jennifer Lawrence
- Joy (20th Century Fox)
- The Hunger Games (Lionsgate)
- Game of Thrones (HBO)
Connect with Nancy: Instagram | Twitter| Website
Connect with The Stacks: Instagram | Twitter | Shop | Patreon | Goodreads | Subscribe
To support The Stacks and find out more from this week’s sponsors, click here.
To contribute to The Stacks, join The Stacks Pack, and get exclusive perks, check out our Patreon page. We are beyond grateful for anything you’re able to give to support the production of this show.
The Stacks participates in affiliate programs. We receive a small commission when products are purchased through links on this website. Shopping through these links helps support the show, but does not effect my opinions on books and products. For more information click here.