Friday Black is a genre-bending collection of short stories by debut author, Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah. It tackles the Black experience in America, consumerism, mental health and many other pressing issues of our day. Today on The Stacks, Wade Allain-Marcus (Insecure, French Dirty, Snowfall) and Traci attempt to break down the major themes and ideas from these stories for The Stacks Book Club. There are spoilers on today’s episode, but if you haven’t read the book yet, check out our conversation with author Adjei-Brenyah on The Short Stacks instead.
Everything we talk about on today’s episode can be found below in the show notes. The Stacks participates in affiliate programs, and shopping through the links below (mostly Amazon) helps support the show, at no cost to you.
- Friday Black by Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah
- “The Short Stacks 7: Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah//Friday Black” (The Stacks)
- Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler
- New People by Danzy Senna
- Black Mirror (Netflix)
- “Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah’s Work in Retail Influenced His Horrifying Short Stories” (Late Night with Seth Meyers, NBC)
- “Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah on ‘Friday Black'” (The New York Times)
- Topdog/Underdog by Suzan-Lori Parks
- Amanda Seales: I Be Knowin’ (HBO)
To contribute to The Stacks, join The Stacks Pack, and get exclusive perks, check out our Patreon page. We are beyond grateful for anything you’re able to give to support the production of this show. If you prefer to do a one time contribution go to paypal.me/thestackspod.
Audible– to get your FREE audiobook download and FREE 30 day trial go to audibletrial.com/thestacks.My Mentor Book Club – for 50% off your first month of new nonfiction from My Mentor Book Club go to mymentorbookclub.com/thestacks
The Stacks participates in affiliate programs. We receive a small commission when products are purchased through links on this website, and this comes at no cost to you. Shopping through these links helps support the show, but does not effect opinions on books and products. For more information click here.