Journalist and academic Steven W. Thrasher joins the show to discuss his eye-opening new book The Viral Underclass: The Human Toll When Inequality and Disease Collide. Steven explains the idea of the viral underclass – those most societally vulnerable to disease transmission – and the criminalization of the sick. We also discuss his comparison of COVID-19 and HIV responses throughout the book and his positionally as a Black and queer writer discussing disease.
The Stacks Book Club selection for November is Prison by Any Other Name: The Harmful Consequences of Popular Reforms by Maya Schenwar and Victoria Law. We will discuss the book on November 30th with Mariame Kaba.
Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Google Podcasts | Overcast | Stitcher | Transcript
Everything we talk about on today’s episode can be found below in the show notes and on Bookshop.org and Amazon.
- The Viral Underclass by Steven W. Thrasher
- Sean Strub
- “‘Tiger Mandingo,’ Who Got 30 Years For Not Telling Sex Partners He Had HIV, Is Free 25 Years Early” (Steven Thrasher, BuzzfeedNews)
- Tanya McKinnon
- Herschel Walker
- A Letter to Liberals by Robert F. Kennedy Jr.
- Jamie Raab
- Lorena Borjas
- Cecily van Buren-Freedman
- Mark Schoofs
- Blue Lives Matter Laws
- “Despite Science, Police Still Add ‘Biting’ to Charges Against People With HIV” (Victoria Law, The Body)
- Michael Brown
- “Typhoid Mary” Mallon
- Rochelle Walensky
- Andrew Wakefield
- Jenny McCarthy
- Kirstie Alley
- Leana Wen
- “Ep. 239 The Purpose of a System Is What It Does with Mariame Kaba” (The Stacks)
- Prison by Any Other Name by Maya Schenwar and Victoria Law
- New York University (New York, NY)
- Tongues Untied (Marlon T. Riggs, 1989)
- Louise Seamster
- Melissa Gira Grant
- Zachary A. Siegel
- Northwestern University (Evanston, IL)
- Philip Glass
- “Music for 18 Musicians” (Steven Reich, 2000)
- Steven Thrasher at The Guardian
- Tisch School of the Arts (New York, NY)
- Alice Wong
- Year of the Tiger by Alice Wong
- Photo of Thrasher and Alice Wong
- Elite Capture by Olúfẹ́mi O Táíwò
- Raising Lazurus by Beth Macy
- Dopesick by Beth Macy
- Dopesick (miniseries) (Hulu)
- Under the Skin by Linda Villarosa
- The Women’s House of Detention by Hugh Ryan
- Heavy by Kiese Laymon
- The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein
- Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser
- The Viral Underclass by Steven W. Thrasher (audiobook)
To support The Stacks and find out more from this week’s sponsors, click here.
Connect with Steven: Instagram | Twitter | Website
Connect with The Stacks: Instagram | Twitter | Shop | Patreon | Goodreads | Subscribe
To contribute to The Stacks, join The Stacks Pack, and get exclusive perks, check out our Patreon page. If you prefer to support the show with a one time contribution go to paypal.me/thestackspod.
The Stacks participates in affiliate programs. We receive a small commission when products are purchased through links on this website, and this comes at no cost to you. This in no way effects opinions on books and products reviewed here. For more information click here.