Today we are joined by author and activist Marlon Peterson. His book Bird Uncaged: An Abolitionist’s Freedom Song is out now and is both a memoir of Marlon’s time in prison and an indictment of a system that fails its citizens. We talk today about possibility, asking different questions, and romantic comedies.
The Stacks Book Club selection for June is The Undying by Anne Boyer. We will discuss the book with Mychal Denzel Smith on Wednesday June 30th.
Everything we talk about on today’s episode can be found below in the show notes. You can also find everything we talked about on Amazon.
- Bird Uncaged by Marlon Peterson
- “Am I not human? A call for criminal justice reform” (Marlon Peterson, Ted Residency)
- Kiese Laymon
- Angela Davis
- Mariame Kaba
- Ruth Wilson Gilmore
- Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
- Marlon’s Family Seeing Bird Uncaged ( January 31, 2021)
- Wise Honey BBQ Chips
- Maya Angelou
- Pens from the Pen
- Darnell Moore
- Mychal Denzel Smith
- Ava DuVernay
- Love Jones (Theodore Witcher, 1997)
- Love and Basketball (Gina Prince-Bythewood, 2000)
- James Patterson
- The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks
- Breathe by Imani Perry
- Heavy by Kiese Laymon
- The Autobiography of Malcolm X as told to Alex Haley
- Brooklyn Reads: Bird Uncaged with Marlon Peterson and Ilyasah Shabazz
- “Ep. 135 The Autobiography of Malcolm X as told to Alex Haley — The Stacks Book Club (Marc Lamont Hill)” (The Stacks)
- Jay Z
To support The Stacks and find out more from this week’s sponsors, click here.
The Stacks participates in affiliate programs. We receive a small commission when products are purchased through links on this website, and this comes at no cost to you. This in no way effects opinions on books and products reviewed here. For more information click here.