Ashley C. Ford is a host, podcaster, writer, and now author. Her debut book, Somebody’s Daughter, was an instant New York Times bestseller, and tells the story of her childhood as it relates to her coming of age and her father’s incarceration. Today we discuss therapy as part of her writing process, the ways anger can fuel passion, and what it means to be published by Oprah Winfrey’s imprint.
The Stacks Book Club selection for June is The Undying by Anne Boyer. We will discuss the book with Mychal Denzel Smith on Wednesday June 30th.
Everything we talk about on today’s episode can be found below in the show notes. You can also find everything we talked about on Amazon.
- Somebody’s Daughter by Ashley C. Ford
- Roxane Gay
- “Episode 378: Ashley C. Ford, author and podcast host” (Longform)
- Flatiron Books
- Oprah’s Book Club
- The Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN)
- Oprah’s Instagram post featuring Somebody’s Daughter (June 1, 2021)
- Ashley’s tweet on her cover’s color (June 3, 2021)
- “The White and Gold (No, Blue and Black!) Dress That Melted the Internet” (Jonathan Mahler, The New York Times)
- The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead
- “Roxane Gay’s Book Club: How Colson Whitehead’s “The Nickel Boys” Is Not Green Book (Extended Cut)” (Vice News, Youtube)
- “I’m Done With Performing Gratitude” (Ashley C. Ford, Medium)
- Sugar (Honey) Smacks
- Corn Pops
- Under the Tuscan Sun: Soundtrack by Christophe Beck
- Fast Color: Soundtrack by Rob Simonsen
- The Wife: Soundtrack by Jocelyn Pook
- Amelie: Soundtrack by Yann Tiersen
- Lovecraft Country Radio (HBO)
- The Nanny (HBO Max)
- Saeed Jones
- How the Word is Passed by Clint Smith
- Somebody’s Daughter Audiobook
- I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
- The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
- Towelhead by Alicia Erian
- “Ep. 168 Embodying History with Clint Smith” (The Stacks)
The Stacks participates in affiliate programs. We receive a small commission when products are purchased through links on this website, and this comes at no cost to you. This in no way effects opinions on books and products reviewed here. For more information click here.